How to Choose A Pediatric Dentist
Many of us remember those days when a child would kick and scream on the way to dentist’s office. Parents had to use all kinds of “bribery” to make our child cooperative during the dentist office visit. Well, thankfully, for the vast majority of parents those days are long gone. Now, while choosing a dentist for our kids, we can rely not only on the “word of mouth” like in the old days, but use all the benefits of modern days technologies: social media, dentist’s websites, ratings… However, it is still very important to approach the pediatric dentist choice decision very rigorously. After all, it’s not only what other people say about the doctor, it’s your confidence that this particular doctor will be a perfect match for your child.
Parents want to make right decision when choosing a pediatric dentist for their children. What should they take into consideration? Please take a look at the simple steps that will help you choose the right pediatric dentist for your child below.
- Do our research. Ask your pediatrician, other parents, your own dentist for recommendations. Local pharmacists and family doctors can also do references. If you are relocating ask your current dentist if she can recommend someone in the area. Another great option: search American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry and the American Dental Association for local children’s dentist by zip code. If you have a child with special needs, she may require even more careful approach. You need to find a pediatric dentist who is especially patient and empathetic, because a child’s reactions to even the mildest of treatments can be extreme.
- In case you find it impossible to find a children’s dentist in your area, ask your friends, neighbors, co-workers of general dentists they like.
- Once you have pediatric dentist’s name, you can try meeting the doctor and visit the pediatric dental office for a tour to decide if she/he and the doctor’s atmosphere is right for your child.
Questions you need to ask the children’s dentist BEFORE the visit:
- Does the dentist have special training or interest in treating children?
- Is the dentist a member of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry?
- Is the dental office set up for children? For example, does it offer toys, books, games or child-sized furniture?
- How does the dental office manage emergencies?
- Is the office conveniently located close to your home or child’s school?
- Does the practice accept your dental benefit plan?
If the answers to the above questions satisfy you, questions to ask AFTER the visit:
- Was your child seen promptly?
- Were you asked for a complete medical and dental history for your child?
- Was the dentist gentle but thorough when examining your child’s mouth?
- Did the dentist or staff talk to your child, encouraging her involvement in dental health?
- Were you informed about your child’s tooth development, the causes and prevention of dental disease, and appropriate dental care at home?
- Were your questions treated with concern and respect?
- Was the visit positive for your child?
Hope this guide will help you to make the right decision when choosing a pediatric dentist for your child! If you have any questions or need some help finding a children’s dentist in DFW area, please contact our Kids Pediatric Dentist office in Allen. We will be happy to help you!